Thursday, July 26, 2012

Free Game Idea and Donation Goal Reached




In a previous post I mentioned messing around with plenty of RAGs games and how they were filling my mind with all sorts of ideas. While not too many of the ideas were very relevant, I did settle on an interesting idea for a new RAGs game. Now before you get too excited, I'm just throwing this idea out there, I'm not planing on doing it myself. I just need to get it out there so it can stop occupying brain space.

So imagine a text based rpg in which you play as a woman who gets trapped in an alternate world where fatness denotes beauty and status. In order to survive you must gain weight to first of all not be mistaken for a slave, and then interact with a world that puts an unusually high emphasis on ones weight. You can climb your way up the social ladder by gaining weight and putting on certain appearances and interact with the right people. Or you can keep to particular low weight to take advantage of your physical prowess (over the heavier natives) and become a member of the society's under belly. I imagine themes between balancing your own needs and desires as to get ahead, but not lose oneself to hedonism and corruption (or perhaps head straight into it whole heartedly). End game could be finding a way back home or become a master of that new world.

This is something that can be done with just narrative, or as a RAGs game with visuals as well. I'm not going to pretend its a unique idea, but I think it's something that could be really cool and relevant to some people of our tastes. So have at it creative peoples, your are free to take the idea if you so wish, no credit is needed. Just share it so that others ( and me ) can enjoy.

In other news, I've just reached a donation milestone! Thanks to your generous donations I now have enough to purchase an Indie License of that Chat Mapper software I mentioned back a few posts ago. While I still have yet to get a good test drive of the software and build the necessary XML parser, I do have high hopes for integrating it with the project and using it as a solution to my dialog and event driving. I wont buy it until I'm certain it works, so for that case it doesn't work out, I'll be able to use the funds for something else. So thanks again for your attention and support, I'm still trucking along but I hope that my next few posts are filled with more exciting updates.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting, most of all from the idea of "conformaty" vs the ability to "transform" society. But you need to have some type of "advantage" over your bred for fatness noble class. Maybe a gem you steal that allows you to manipulate your metabolism based on how you use it. If you want to gain weight it will slowly drop to 0, if you want to loose it your metabolism goes into overdrive. You could also gain a sort of "double life" as well... hmmm I might just start writing up on this this is an awesome idea ^_^ find me as Mondoman on the process forum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like the themes and I'll keep an eye out for any stories you come up with.

      Delete
  2. Kickass man, glad to hear you got the dough!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pursonally, I hate RAGS. I mean, the idea is GREAT, but I hate RAGS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make it sound like you've had experience messing with it. I'll admit I've never tried it before and I can imagine the difficulty. The alternative is using another system or being crazy like me and trying to do it from scratch. Even so, I think RAGs is a great medium for story telling and adventures.

      Delete
  4. I tried to make a game revolving around that idea somewhat. My game is around being a slave at first, but I'm not much of a writer and only put in a few hours on it.

    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?bc37cdjcjchc1zr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holy crap this is awesome. Pretty early work I know, but this can really go somewhere. I encourage you to keep at it and if you need any help with more ideas me know. When you are comfortable with it, you should post it somewhere to get some more visibility. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete