Sunday, August 5, 2012

Game Progress and Design Help

A note for those interested in helping with some design stuff, check after the break.

This weekend has been pretty great for me in terms of getting stuff done. The new screen manager is finally working. While it doesn't behave too differently from before, it now supports the independent nature of the individual screens and doesn't rely on complex coordination with separate managers in order to function. It also has support for simple transitions like pan or fade outs between screens, but I'm not sure how I'd want to use such a feature yet. I'd show a screen shot but the current state of screens is quite underwhelming. Those will come soon.

Buttons are now up to spec and have shed the unnecessary complexities from before. I now use a single button class which can be attached to special flash object and function uniformly. I still need to revise more complex button code such as drag and drop, but it should be drastically simpler than it was before.

Basic keyboard handling is in. While I've realized that there's a bit of work to get context sensitive keyboard navigation on screens, I can at least use the keys for run-time debugging commands.

I know this has been a long coming feature, but I got the framework for loading and saving outlined. I've explored my options and I'm going with using the local shared object system that most other flash games use. The trouble ahead comes in the method that I need to serialize the data back and forth between the saves and loads. Basically, I need to break down the various forms of save-able data into templates that can be interpreted back and forth. While it would have been easier to directly cut and past the Game State directly between loads/saves, I would run into the issue of version mismatches and incompatible saves whenever I update the game. This is the main reason I put off adding this feature for so long, but with some ideas I've gotten from work, I believe I can tackle this one competently.

I needed some help figuring out design issues which I go into detail with after the break...


Lastly, I'm taking my time in figuring out major design issues. I'm concerned with how I'm going to handle the new Farm Screen. While the idea is to make it the information front page, I'm still trying to figure out how to best deliver the exposition of daily information and cow girl activities. Essentially, I have about 4 or 5 things that the player can look at in the beginning of the day. I want there to be a weather report, town news (store sales, holidays), cow girl growth change summary, emergency notices (Food low, Cow girl sick) etc.

I was thinking of making a list of news feed icons that would show up on the screen that the player can click on that pulls up a scroll-able dialog box detailing the relevant information. I'm OK with this idea, but I think there could be better way to do this, especially in terms of layout and user interfaces design. If anyone knows of any good interfaces from other games that deal with this sort of stuff, send them my way as my mind is drawing blanks for sources of inspiration.

The other main issue is how I plan to deal with activity exposition. Currently, ending a shift will provide a dialog box that explains the scenario of each cow girl, one by one. This requires excessive clicking with often repetitive information. This maybe especially lengthy now as I plan to remove the numerous shifts and allow for multiple activities to be preformed in one day. I could stick in a skip button, but there must be a more graceful way to do this that still interests the player in these short little bits of story.

I hope this design problems weren't explained too vaguely , but I'll be stuck on these screens until I figure out how I want to handle this. This post has been REALLY long, so thanks for reading.

4 comments:

  1. The news feed icons in a scrollable list on the main screen is fine, just sort items by importance:

    [Emergencies]
    Sick Cowgirl
    Low Stock
    etc.
    [Lesser Emergencies/Things you should act on]
    Cowgirl idle with available Action Points, stuff like that.
    [Short-Term information]
    Weather Report
    Sale at a store.
    Holidays.
    [Cowgirl *LEVEL* growth information]
    (Glutton, Milking, Sex, Farming leveled up)
    [Cowgirl growth information]
    (This one gained a pound, cup size went up, etc)

    This way the information the player needs to see is always shown by default. Let the list dominate like the entire left half of the home screen. It's important info so let it be all over the screen.

    If you process cowgirls sequentially, you could provide a skip to next cowgirl button. This would let you skip past cowgirls you're fully fine with ignoring and jump to the ones you're taking a more hands on approach with (say, a sick one?). A skip all button would let you skip past all the cowgirls if you were interested in the net result to the farm (if you were in the middle of a harvest, so you could continue to feed the cowgirls)

    also remember that mouse rollovers don't hurt. They can be ignored by people who know what they're doing and embraced by new players.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the input. This is along the lines of which I was thinking about and it's nice to get a bit of confirmation on that. I'll try out a method or two and we'll see what works best.

      Delete
  2. I'll just drop this off here:

    http://primalemotion.deviantart.com/art/Cow-Girl-Game-v-0-5-319386070

    The ideas are practically identical, though he has definite skill in art, with you in code. You should probably try to collab or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just managed to take a peek and that guy's stuff is pretty awesome. The animation and art style is top notch. The game itself is pretty well made but currently seems to lack direction. I'd like to see where he plans to take it.

      As for a potential collaborative effort, I'll have to contact primalemotion first and weigh out our goals. We might both enjoy milking and BE but there's also the other stuff like weight gain that seems to be a real hit or miss with people.

      I think I'm going to wait it out a bit more until I get CGF into a solid state with features better defined and implemented before I go into a discussion with half a hand.

      Thanks for showing me!

      Delete