Friday, September 2, 2011

Building Interfaces 2

I've been working intensely on figuring out the interfaces for the game. I've gotten to the point where I can go from the main menu through to the character creation, the cow selection, and prologue info all the way to the farm screen. Mind you that most of those are place holders at the moment, but they are all set to go with the addition of some actual content.
The majority of the time I've spent on getting the farm screen and interface going. I've gotten the basic layout set up, but need to get the functionality in. So far drag and drop icons are all working and fitting into the correct slots. The current issue is building the back end that reads and writes information based on those icons positions. Almost done with that but its still a bit of a head ache.
After this is working I'll add a few activities and see if I can get cows to actually perform them using the drag and drop interface. After that is items and stores and maybe alpha testing. Maybe.

In-case you haven't tired of my code talk, I've also hacked together a quick c++ console program that stitches multiple xml files into a single xml. This way I can create folder hierarchies with grouped sets of events so I don't waste time searching one giant list of events for any particular thing. This should help a ton as I'm expecting to write hundreds of independent xml objects. This should also help when people are creating their own events as they can work in files separate from the core xml.

Things are looking good, but another weekend of full time work is going to drain me, so hopefully I'll find the time (and energy) to get some more coding in.

Also check out the other people's games I've listed on the side here, as many of them are updating like mad.

No comments:

Post a Comment