Sunday, May 20, 2012

Fixed a few issues

I had a bit less time to work than I thought I would this weekend. Saturday morning was my open time slot and it just so happened the fuse box was being replaced at that time. Oh well, it needed to be done.

Looking over the code, it was much less cringe worthy than I thought it would have been, so I guess that means I'm improving. I was checking on the few bugs that were reported and I added the feature to deplete food as it is eaten. The cow girl can also end up skipping a meal now if you no longer have any food. There are no real demerits set but as expected this will result in a net weight loss. Later on you can expect sickness and maybe even death.

There was also an issue where weight wasn't being applied correctly for the milking task. The idea was that milking would cause minor breast growth over time, but the wrong values were being triggered. I'll be testing these a bit first to better tune the growth.

The issue mentioned about getting cow girl bars stuck on the screen is a bit more obscure for me, so if anyone can provide a test methodology to reproduce the bug would be greatly helpful.

I'm also finding myself struggling to find a good balance in design for implementing the farming interface. I'm still not too happy with the current design for the cow girls' role in farming. I'm thinking around too many ideas on how exactly a cow girl activity will effect crop growth. Would they simple boost its growth rate? Will greater skill mean a faster boost? Is there quality to consider? What does it mean for more than one cow girl to be working the fields?

I thought I had these things figured out but as I checked my notes, it appears I never really settled on it. Not to mention how it would actually display still remains a mystery. If you guys have any ideas I'll certainty listen.

I may try to stream next weekend if I get some decent plans down first. I'll try and give a date and time by Thursday or Friday.

3 comments:

  1. Skipping meals resulting in weight loss and causing the exercise of working the fields to result in weight loss would allow someone to slim down a chunky cowgirl, or even working fields could allow a cowgirl to become stronger in some way.

    Just as in working real fields, more hands makes work quicker. Say it takes X days to plant a field, Player character counts as 1, Add Y cowgirls to reduce the number of days (Days Req = X / (1 + Y)) it takes to plant the field. The same formula could be used when harvesting. This would also allow flexibility because all the cowgirls could work the first day, but the second and third day the player character or just one or two cowgirls could finish the job, allowing other cowgirls to accomplish other tasks (Or possibly even work other fields?)

    Random suggestions:
    The Ability to load and save would be really, really cool.
    A minor tweak to the Cow inspector, jump to the list, not to the first cow on the list. Maybe allow quick inspection on the left side by rolling over a cow on the list.
    Shouldn't a good night's sleep replenish more health than napping during the day?
    Allow use item to feed a cowgirl once/turn to speed the process of fattening her, but at the penalty of the item being less effective this way than using Over Feed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see progress is being made, I've been looking forward to any updates for this game :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. During the process of growing having workers work the field should make better quality(or more quantity) crops (fields require constant TLC for best results) so having the player and a cow girl per turn makes either a higher quality or greater quantity crop grow the more people work the better the result (thus only player would make the minimum output) also the idea of the first guy would work in conjunction with my idea (speed up planting to reduce total time and speed up harvest to reduce loss)

    ReplyDelete