Friday, May 18, 2012

Sorry for the Disappearance! An Excuse and Future Plans




I can only begin with an apology. I can't help but feel that I've taken the mantel of an abusive parent that will give his child abandonment issues. While words can only convey so much, I'll first at least give some form of explanation.

The last few months have been difficult to say the least. Being out of school for over 5 months and not having any form of work/income was getting a little too much for me. Working on this project helped keep my morale up but this last month I was panicking. With some pretty poor timing I had originally decided to get artist on board and raise funds to do so. After the first week or so with little success with getting people on board I couldn't face my combined predicaments and tossed all my efforts into getting work and coping with my personal onslaught of mental despair.

Luckily, just recently one of my contacts finally pulled through and I was just able to get a full time position at a game developer company. This has pretty much been a dream come true for me and has been a major boost to my morale and provided a much needed structure to my previously unemployed time.

While this does mean I have physically less time to actively work on this project, I now have that drive to work again. I'm looking towards using my weekends to spend time on coding CGF with the weekdays doing some minor planing. The work I did between the last build and now isn't substantial enough to warrant an update yet, but I'll at least give a progress update this weekend. I imagine most of my time will be used reacquainting myself with the code base but I'll see what I can do.

I must especially apologize to those that have been kind enough to donate towards this project. I've gone and updated the donation tracker here and I'll make an effort to date my tracker updates. The funds I have collected have not been touched, as they were originally intended for hiring artist help, but I'll need to either find help soon or strategize another proper use of these funds. It was asked in a message so I'll mention it here; I will not share any of your identification or personal information that I receive from the donation. It's only a common courtesy.

Thanks for sticking around.

Also, I wont bother deleting any of the criticism I've received because some times people need to say what's true. It should serve as a nice reminder.

8 comments:

  1. Holy smokes. Well, that's a surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the job, even if it means longer times between updates, real life takes precedence over anything online, if i may ask what language is the game written in? (actionscript?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The game here is written in Action Script 3.0 and built using Flash Builder 4.5 and Adobe Flash Pro CS 5.5. If you want any more specifics just let me know.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for returning. Glad to see my donation won't be wasted. Really hope to see a newer version soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Next time keep us in the loop, even if you don't have any progress.
    It's very easy for people to disappear off the internet and we like to know what's going on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only it were so simple. I'll do my best to at least be more honest and that may mean more "I didn't do much" posts but I'm guessing that's preferable.

      Delete
  5. Just a suggestion, but asking for donations aren't a particularly effective means of gathering cash by themselves. You should have some sort of "donate X get Y" gift.

    If you treat your game project as serious gig, I believe you could be pretty successful since there are so few games in this area.

    Start with
    $5= desktop wallpaper of the main character(s)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as I'd love to provide rewards and incentives, I'm just not in a proper spot for it at the moment. I need to get the game into a comfortable place before I'll be making any promises.

      And thanks for the encouragement, I hope we can make something quite nice out of this.

      Delete