Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Perforce Fun

It was nice that we had a long Memorial Day weekend but that just means that I have to fill my hours in the remaining four work days. Therefore I've been generally exhausted from long days in the office and the stress for my company's pending E3 announcements. While I'm not high enough on the totem pole to really feel the heat, the tension is high all around. I expect to have little output until the weekend, but I thought it was best to give a little info.

But besides making excuses, I did manage to get around to playing with my own local Perforce Server. It's something I've been meaning to learn to do for a while and it's not as terribly difficult as I once thought it would be. For those who work on projects, especially group projects, a type of version control system is a must for keeping you material backed up as well as readily available to team members. The magic is that I can review changes between files over time and backtrack as necessary in case of bugs or other issues that occur. Perforce also allows you to organize your changes before you save them onto your server and provide all sorts of labels and additional information. While it may sound like overkill, it is really worth learning how to use and is an invaluable tool. Using my personal server will give me a bit more control over the service and still allow outside users access. When/If I get a team going on this, everything will be ready to go full throttle.

Sorry if this post became a bit too tech focused or sounding like an ad pitch, but I felt it was at least valuable to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment