Sunday, February 26, 2012

Targets for Redesigns

I haven't gotten around to doing much coding, but I've been doing some planning towards solving the current crop of issues. This will be more or less a wish list rather than the an exact plan of action as it may take time to develop one step over another.


  • First off I'm going to implement stat info to the job assignment buttons such as the much needed health stat. I was leaving space for relevant skill progress but using that space for stats is much more important. I'm thinking of using an icon with a percentage would be best and I could have at least 2 if not all the primary stats displayed in that space.



  • Make the job assignment process more intuitive. The suggestion of only showing cows not currently in the current selected job on the roster list makes a ton of sense. I will get rid of the extra buttons on the bottom of the roster screen and apply a drag drop solution. This should lower the click count a bit and removing a cow from a task will be as simple as dragging the cow off a task list and releasing the mouse. Cows removed this way will be put to the rest task.



  • Shift change job confirmations will still try to tell a story, but I will make a stat summary box that will show the stat changes  instead of a second text message. The stat summary will display at the same time as the job confirmation text. I also plan to make the enter key effect the dialog box button, so less rapid pace clicking needed.


This is just what was on my mind and wanted to share. If you feel there's anything more that I should add or have better suggestions please send them my way here.

3 comments:

  1. Don't know if it's already been mentioned, but one feature I'd like, when inspecting the cows, is an at-a-glance overview of all the girls at once (possibly with a click through for the full details on one at a time, if not everything would fit at once). Generally, if I'm going to inspect at all, I'm nearly always going to want to see all three.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a potential solution for this is the change I'll make to the roster list. The button with the cows name will display other vital stat info. This is the same list that will appear when you are switching which cow you are inspecting in detail.

      Also when you are assigning tasks you will be able to see their vital stats at a glance.

      Delete
  2. Just a Misc question, but would an image of the cow selected be available? If so I was hoping for images based on moods. Such as, when you first play the game the selected cow's image will just be neutral, she will look natural. If she is unsatisfied it will show her angry/sad. And when she is happy.. you get the idea.

    I know this is something that should belong on the bottom of things to add/improve on but it's a fine addition once the game is fully playable.

    ReplyDelete